Tuesday 22 January 2013

புளிக்கஞ்சி or puLi kanchi or Hot and Sour Rice Porridge

I am sorry I have been silent for a long time. Happy New Year! I started writing the following post on new year's eve. But, never got around to posting it.


Did I tell you that I was sick most of December?  I made puli kanchi(புளிக்கஞ்சி) when I was sick. In Sri Lanka it is one of the comfort foods to eat when you are sick. I came up with the translation Hot and Sour Rice Porridge. Let me know if you can think of a better translation. I made a big pot of  it and it was heavenly if I can say so myself.

Here is my version of the recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup brown raw rice. Can use brown parboiled or white parboiled if you don't have brown raw rice.

5 or 6 shallots or 1/2 onion
5 or 6 cloves of garlic
5  green chillies. You can use more or less based on your tolerance for hot food
1/2  cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp turmeric powder 
1/2 tsp ground cumin - skip if you don't have it
1 cup peeled and deveined shrimp
lime juice from 1/2 lime.
1 cup murungai/Moringa/drum stick leaves - optional
salt to taste

I have to warn that all amounts are very approximate. I usually don't measure anything.

Method :
Ground paste
Boil the rice in 5 or 6 cups of water. Add more water if needed. While the rice is cooking, chop onion, garlic, and chillies  and grind them to a coarse paste. I used the magic bullet to grind them into paste. When the rice is cooked and soft and mushy add the ground paste, shrimp, coconut milk, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt. Mix every thing. Cook for 10 mins.

Add the murungai leves if using. Alternatively you can add 1 cup of spinach, kale or any other green leafy vegetable.Cook for 2 mins.

Turn off the heat. Wait for 5 min for the porridge cool down a bit. Add the lime juice. A lot of people use tamarind juice instead of lime juice. But my mother has always used lime juice. So I used lime juice. In fact I called her when I was making it to confirm.

Serve hot. Yum.

No comments: