Friday 30 November 2012

To blog or not to blog

It has been over a month since I started blogging regularly.

So what have I learned:
  • Although I was tempted NaBloPOMo,  I decided against it in the end.  Blogging everyday seemed like too much work. 
  • I don't think anyone regularly reads this blog ( Holler if you do. You will make my day!)  Page hits go up when I post a link to my rant post on my Facebook page. But, otherwise the hits are usually less than 10 per day. 
  • Most of my page hits are from people searching for wattalapam recipe.I didn't realize wattalapam is so popular.
  •  I am pretty confident about my technical and business writing skills. But, I am not so sure about my non-technical writing skills. It is also hard work for me unless I am all fired up about Kitchenaid!
  • I'll never feel comfortable about mommy blogging writing about topics that is too personal.
  • I'll also never become rich from blogging (See the point above about less than ten hits) That means I don't have to spend a lot of time with the esthetics of the template. 


I think I am going to continue posting at least until my life start getting busier( i.e until I start working full-time)

My goals are simple.  1) Improve my non-technical writing skills. 2) Record my childhood memories for my kids. We lost all our tangible childhood memories when our house in Sri Lanka was destroyed seventeen years ago. I will never be able to show my beloved doll or my favourite books from my childhood to my kids. But, I can tell them the stories about my childhood. And they love hearing these stories because my childhood is very different from theirs. I have been telling them these stories as their bed-time stories. If I write these stories down, they will have these stories with them for ever even when I am not there with them.


No comments: